Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Otalgia

Today started off normal just like any other day. We got up, ate breakfast, Dadda left for work and we were to entertain ourselves. I had read the kids some books and we played with cars and barbies, and then Mommy needed some "computer time". While I was sitting at the computer Lexi came over and told me she needed a drink and rested her head on me. At this time I felt her and she was a little warm. I wasn't concerned and I told her that we would check her temperature in just a few minutes. I got her, her drink and had her get the thermometer. She had a little fever so I gave her Tylenol. Then about an hour later she told me that her ear hurt. I touched it and sure enough I knew she had an ear infection. So I called the pediatrician, and they couldn't get me in today I would have to wait until the morning. So I decided to try another Dr. and they had an appointment for me within 45 minutes. So I said sure and I booked it, but then I realized I had no car......Henry had mine again. So I called Shannon, and she said I could use her car, but little did she know, while she was packing up her kids Levi said his ear hurt too. So she called and had an appointment an hour after me. So off we were to my appointment. Fortunately I was in and out in 30 minutes. This Dr. was great. Lexi had a horrible right ear infection and the left ear was looking a little rough. He noticed her eyes were getting a little poofy so he prescribed her something a little stronger so it wouldn't turn into a sinus infection (something she has had times before). And for the exciting news...the Dr. let me look in her ear and see what an infected ear looked like! HOW COOL! The other pediatrician NEVER let me do that! I musta looked a little crazy when I got excited and was like really can I look? LoL the things that make me happy these days :) Looking at an infected ear brought me joy today (sorry Lexi). Anyway and then off to Shannon's Pediatrician....And it is official two of her kids had ear infections as well! What a day! Everything happened later today, due to these little mystery ears..and to top it off, I didn't do Laundry like I wanted to. Tomorrow morning I am going to be one busy lady with the laundry! oh and BTW, didn't know if you were wondering what otalgia means.....just a big word I learned studying...it means "ear pain". I am one smart cookie!!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Lexi...That picture is depressing :( Maybe you should be a pediatrician if things like that get ya so excited. I bet between Lexi and Ba you'd be able to diagnose most problems little kids have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, oh no believe me, These kids surprise me everytime they get sick, a new rash, a new bump, something...IT NEVER ENDS!!! And I am sure future children(ha ha) will have all new things as well!

    ReplyDelete